Saturday, March 22, 2008

Semana Santa & Swearing In

Lago de Nicaragua and the Island of Ometepe in the distance (it´s an actively volcanic island)
So this week is Semana Santa in Nicaragua. We haven’t had training classes since Wednesday, because most of the country shuts down for Thursday-Sunday; those people with cars go to the beach, those without stay at home and observe the religious processionals through town. Matt and I have been spending the time in Rosario with my family. Its been interesting – we haven’t had much to do, which is really a first for us here because we are usually busy every minute of the day in training. Matt has been spending a lot of time reading and playing guitar. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what I’ve been doing.
On Thursday, we went with the family to the beach at San Jorge, on the western side of Lake Nicaragua, an enormous lake in the middle of the country, (just slightly smaller than the Island of Puerto Rico). From the shore at San Jorge, you can see Omotepe, a volcano island:

We also went to visit the basurera in Rosario (the dump). Its about a 20 minute walk outside of Rosario in the campo, and apparently it’s a pretty progressive program for Nicaragua. The mayor pays for a guy to go around town and collect garbage in town. Then they take it out to this place and sort it into organic and inorganic garbage. The organic is used for composting and they have an absolutely beautiful garden next to the dump (in the middle of nowhere…):
Here´s where they do the composting at the garbage dump.
We found this is the ¨garbage section.¨ It´s bonafide LEGO, so we thought we´d post this picture in honor of my brother, Scott. Sorry, Scott, we didn´t think it was worth salvaging, so we left it there...

Other than that, as I said, we have been doing very little aside from observing, and occasionally accidentally partaking in, religious processionals. And spending time with the family, because this is the last week in Curacao….


Bridge to Service

Next week Jess and I will be swearing in as Volunteers! It’s hard to believe we’ve been here close to three months, although sometimes it feels like years. Anyway, we’re going to be meeting with the U.S. Ambassador to Nicaragua. He comes to our swearing in ceremony, presides over it, and even gives an address to the audience. Since our training families are invited, the entire ceremony is in Spanish. We also will be singing the Nicaraguan National Anthem (in Spanish, of course) and saying the Peace Corps oath (also in Spanish, although originally in English). We’ll be sure to post the oath later this week – maybe even in Spanish and English… After the ceremony we have a night of celebration in Managua and then we’re on our own. We’ve talked a lot on this blog about the lack of independence and autonomy over the past three months like it’s a bad thing. Now I have to admit I’m a little scared to be out there on our own. I know as soon as we board that bus to Somoto all those fears will disappear, but taking that first step will be difficult.

Anyway, I’d like the readers’ feedback on a current dilemma I’m having. As you know, I have been sporting a beard for the past 2 or 3 years. A few of the clean-shaven male trainees came up with the idea of growing mustaches for the swearing in ceremony, as this is a traditional look amongst Nicaraguan men. They had to make the commitment weeks ago to ensure a formidable ‘stasch, and therefore have come terms with the look and are ready to face the U.S. Ambassador with a caterpillar above their lip (figure of speech, of course). For me, on the other hand, it’s an issue of “downsizing” and I consequently don’t need to deal with the thought until the wee hours before the ceremony. My question to all of you is, should I do it? Should I shave the beard for the sake of fraternity? Should I risk embarrament in front of the highest serving American official in the country? Even more importantly, should I risk a serious case of razor burn? Your thoughts, please…

Things Matt misses from the U.S.

Borders

Free Internet

Malls

Movie Theaters

Tuna Fish

American Cheese

Cheese Variety

Driving

NOT knowing where my food comes from.

Monthly cell phone plans

Law & Order

Diners


Things that Matt doesn’t miss from the States:

Winter


Things Jess misses from the U.S.:

Warm showers

Snow (at times)

Whole wheat bread

Cheddar

Reruns of Sex and the City and America’s Next Top Model

My Cat

Washing Machines

Wegmans

Bagels

Seasons (At least, I think I will – ‘hot’ and ‘rainy’ just aren’t the same as ‘winter, spring, summer, fall’).

Independence (that will change after training…..)


Jess´s Host Mom with ¨Jesus¨ during the Holy Friday processions.


6 comments:

Meg said...

I vote yes, absolutely! Love the updates, guys. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us!!

Meg

Anonymous said...

I vote for the mustache. you will look the part, mateo!!! just going to send to see if this works. ginner/virginia

Anonymous said...

wow--it actually worked and without you here matt to explain. did try several other methods to no avail. so first question--is it better to communicate with you via this blog or your email?/? do let me know as i would love to stay in touch. As you can imagine---as i have much more free time than you have had--i think of you all often and will certainly be thinking of you all come friday ans swearing in. After all, that had also been my original plan to be there as one of the volunteers!! How are the others in the group etc etc happy travels on the bus come this weekend. and--mike and i do hope to visit you next winter. going to go to spanish school for a few weeks and then travel about. havent given up on spanish yet. and loved your pictures. thanks so much for great updates. ginner

Jenna said...

I vote to keep the beard. Though, it would grow back, razor burn does seem most unappealing...

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I vote that you go native Nicaraguan...go with that mustache!! As for razor burn...see if there's a barber in town that might have some ideas to keep that razor burn down.

As for the LEGO...well, not all LEGO pieces can be saved (I seem to recall your "Hamlet" display from years ago that involved some enamel paint on the LEGO pieces I gave you...another such example...but glad you know how to tell it's real LEGO! hint..use the Macro function on your camera for up-close pictures!)

Most of the family (Dad, Cathy, Jeff, Marie, Megan, and Erin) is here in Atlanta visiting this week, and I just read your blog posts to mom over the phone. I'll have some pictures posted on my flickr account...

Good luck being sworn in! Gas prices here are up again...somewhere around 3.25-3.30 a gallon!

Anonymous said...

Donna Armstrong would be so proud!