Sunday, February 24, 2008

Week 6

So another week has passed in our training towns. Time is such an interesting contradiction for me here – at the end of ever week, I feel as if our training experience is moving so quickly. But every day feels like an eternity. Not in a bad way, just as if I every minute of my day has been devoted to learning or doing something.

So what has happened in the past week? We had our site fair last weekend – a day when all of the aspirantes/trainees get to hear people talk about how good each potential site is. Current volunteers talked about the work that needs to be done, what the climate of each site is like, which sites have internet or cell phone service, which are in the country and which are more urban.

It was an interesting process for us because, as a married couple, we have little choice in the matter. Peace Corps has known for some time now where we will be living because with two people in the same site, they needed to make sure there were two work opportunities, a host family willing to have two people live with them, etc.. But of course, they can’t tell us where we are going before the other volunteers find out. We‘ll find out this coming Friday.

We also had another language proficiency interview this week to find out how far we have come with Spanish in the last 6 weeks. Both Matt and I entered at ‘Novice High,’ according to the system that Peace Corps uses to evaluate language level. Matt has been doing amazingly well with his language progression, and while I am a bit slower, I think that things have been going well for me too. We’ll see. They tell us on Monday where we are at right now.

Other than that, things have been moving along well. Last weekend we visited the river with other aspirantes from Matt’s town and some host family members. And yesterday we visited Volcan Masaya, near Managua.

Sorry, but our pictures are not uploading right now. We´ll try to post them again soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buenos noches, Jess. Gracias for your update. I can't wait to find out where you are going. I have been investigating one of the places Matthew talked about in an e-mail. I believe it's the site you went to. How is the weather?
Are you eating veggies and fruits?
We've sent a couple letters this week and we sent Matthew the three books he wanted. We'll have to see if all arrives okay.
Love to you both.
Matthew's mom/Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess, Glad to hear things are going ok. Sorry I missed your call again. Mom filled me in. Let us know when you find out about your site location so I can look it up on the map.
Love to you and Matt, hope to talk to you soon. Jess's Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey kids! I'm afraid my Spanish is not going as well as can be
expected. I am trying though! Don't have anyone to practice with.
We are also investigating places and are anxious to visit. The guidance counselor from BOCES was
down in your area last week on break. She told me she was thinking of you. She was in Belize. Loves it. And yes, it is a third world country off the compound! Tim at work has been checking your site more often than I, and he loves reading what you have to write. Compliments you both on your writing abilities! I
told him to log and write, he may
surprise me and write to you! The
girl's BB has gone to the 3rd round
of sectionals. I wish them well. It's the "BIG" house this week!
Have other things to do - like get
Dad ready for his trip towards the
end of this week, (California),
finish dinner, call Gram W. as she
and Donna are leaving for Chicago
in the morning (snow storm expected
check in with Gram M and call Aunt
Jan.
Love to you BOTH!!!
Hugs and Kisses too!!!
MOM

Anonymous said...

Hello Jess & Matt ~ We sure do miss you both. Glad to hear that all is well. I can't wait to hear about where you are going to end up. Josh and Kassie love to see the pictures that you post. They too both miss you very much.

Josh did say that he has to laugh at your mom trying to learn spanish. They spent the day with your mom and dad while Uncle Gary and I went to a funeral and while driving around in the car, your mom was listening to her spanish tapes.

Well take care and we will try to keep up with your posts. Love to you both. Take care!!!

Aunt Tammy & Uncle Gary

Anonymous said...

how can I call you guys?

peace and love.
Mark

Anonymous said...

Buenos noches. Received your phone
message late this afternoon. Sorry
I missed talking to you!!!!!! Tried
to return your call using the cell
phone # you left, but after 3 tries
I started getting frustrated and
stopped calling! Will try again
another time. Looking forward to
hearing where you both will end up.
Love to you both!
Mom
XXXOOOXXX